Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Chester-le-Street - Puzzle


CHESTER-LE-STREET – PUZZLE

In Anglo-Saxon times, the name of the settlement that grew up around the Cuneceastra or Conceastre burn was combined with the English word for a Roman fort, which was shortened over time to Chester, the name used locally for the town to this day. However, ‘Chester’ is a common name for towns in England, and in the Middle Ages the second part of the town’s name, ‘Street’, for the Roman road that ran through it, was added. The first record of the name as ‘Chester upon Street’ is reported to be given in the Universal etymological English dictionary of 1749. At some point, the name was shortened to the modern form (“Chester-le-Street”, [s.d.]).

 

K
N
R
U
B
G
N
O
C
C
A
D
E
'
S
R
O
A
D
B
A
L
A
C
K
R
O
T
E
E
R
T
S
T
N
O
R
F
O
S
M
E
K
T
T
E
T
O
N
T
R
E
B
H
T
U
C
T
S
T
P
H
R
E
R
G
K
E
G
A
R
O
H
C
N
A
L
S
H
-
C
A
O
T
E
N
R
O
P
E
R
Y
L
A
N
E
I
E
C
L
A
P
N
E
H
I
L
E
B
T
A
N
N
E
P
R
B
S
R
I
E
E
W
L
C
R
T
A
A
R
C
D
U
S
L
A
I
U
A
N
K
D
O
T
L
R
S
H
R
T
L
U
O
B
L
E
S
O
M
T
I
I
T
S
A
A
A
I
E
D
N
G
D
C
K
W
H
H
W
F
R
S
T
A
W
B
L
C
G
Q
E
O
K
A
R
R
O
S
O
O
T
R
E
C
M
E
E
D
P
N
U
H
R
E
I
E
P
'
R
R
S
E
K
M
A
T
O
V
R
E
A
E
T
T
R
V
R
R
R
T
'
V
R
A
I
U
W
A
A
E
V
C
E
A
H
I
I
E
A
I
S
I
A
H
L
H
F
N
G
G
D
O
N
N
C
R
C
K
J
L
R
R
M
R
L
S
T
M
A
R
Y
D
F
O
S
I
O
N
F
T
E
Y
D
U
I
G
N
I
N
I
M
L
A
O
C
H
E
A
A
D
N
I
S
D
W
B
U
L
C
G
N
I
W
O
R
T
E
H
D
E
I
D
N
U
O
R
G
E
D
I
S
R
E
V
I
R
R
A
E
C
M
I
N
I
L
I
N
K
B
U
S
S
E
R
V
I
C
E
D
K
L
O
F
L
A
S
H
F
L
O
O
D
I
N
G
N
I
N
G

 

ALDRED
ANCHORAGE
ANKER'S HOUSE
BISHOPRIC
CADE'S ROAD
CATHEDRAL
COAL MINING
CONCANGIS
CONGBURN
DURHAM CASTLE
FLASH FLOODING
FRONT STREET
GREAT NORTH ROAD
JARROW MARCH
KAMP-LINTFORT
LINDISFARNE GOSPELS
MARKET TOWN
MINERS' STRIKE
MINILINK BUS SERVICE
RIVERSIDE GROUND
RIVERSIDE PARK
RIVER WEAR
ROPERY LANE
ROWING CLUB
SHUTE BARRINGTON
ST CUTHBERT
ST MARY
THE QUEENSHEAD
VIADUCT
WILLIAM WALCHER
 

When you’ve crossed through all the listed words in the above grid, you should find the following part of a quotation remaining.

“ _ _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _ _ _   _ _   _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _ _ ,  _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _  

_ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _ _   _ _ _ _ ,  _ _ _ _ _    _ _ _ _   _ _   _ _ _ ... _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ”

For a more flexible form of this puzzle, please see: http://www.wordsearchfun.com/160597_ChesterleStreet_wordsearch.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment