Sunday, April 27, 2014

Dewsbury - Puzzle

DEWSBURY – PUZZLE
In the seventh century, Paulinus, the apostle and bishop of the Northumbrians, is known to have introduced Christianity to the part of England around Dewsbury. Fittingly enough then, the first part of the name of Dewsbury is usually thought to be derived from Duw (God), and ‘bury’ coming from burg (a hill), in the language of the Christian Britons (Baines, [s.d.]). This is, however, only one of the explanations of the origin of the name, another being that it means fortified place from the Old English deaw ‘dew (stream) and burg ‘fort’.
K
C
P
O
O
R
L
A
W
G
U
A
R
D
I
A
N
S
T
Q
R
M
S
L
L
I
M
E
C
N
E
D
I
V
O
R
P
F
X
F
I
O
A
K
I
N
D
O
F
L
O
V
I
N
G
A
F
W
H
L
O
O
K
G
L
A
C
I
A
L
D
E
P
O
S
I
T
S
G
K
N
R
N
N
I
T
'
S
G
R
I
M
U
P
N
O
R
T
H
E
Y
J
S
M
Y
C
O
A
L
M
E
A
S
U
R
E
S
I
W
H
R
G
N
I
T
S
A
L
B
D
N
A
S
R
B
K
E
A
Q
T
U
B
E
V
Z
M
R
L
W
E
S
T
R
I
D
I
N
G
A
R
B
L
A
C
K
T
O
M
M
I
N
S
T
E
R
T
O
W
N
U
S
P
D
G
V
R
R
A
C
Y
E
L
T
A
B
K
T
V
B
O
W
O
T
S
R
A
B
N
A
T
S
H
W
L
N
H
S
W
U
C
E
C
A
E
P
D
I
V
A
D
U
T
P
B
V
V
T
Q
N
Y
D
E
V
I
L
'
S
K
N
E
L
L
E
A
O
S
I
H
U
T
K
K
A
R
E
D
L
A
C
R
E
V
I
R
U
E
R
N
P
N
R
E
P
P
I
R
E
R
I
H
S
K
R
O
Y
L
G
P
K
U
J
Y
L
U
D
D
I
T
E
O
P
P
O
S
I
T
I
O
N
O
F
E
A
R
G
U
S
O
'
C
O
N
N
O
R
A
O
N
F
C
H
C
R
O
W
N
E
S
T
P
A
R
K
O
K
E
O
U
U
V
Z
B
J
S
E
V
A
R
G
N
O
X
A
S
F
B
U
X
R
S
S
L
L
I
H
P
E
T
E
R
S
U
T
C
L
I
F
F
E
Y

A KIND OF LOVING
BATLEY CARR
BEATLES
BLACK TOM
COAL MEASURES
COUNTY COURT
CROWNE ST PARK
DAVID PEACE
DEVIL’S KNELL
DEWSBURY NOIR
FEARGUS O’CONNOR
GLACIAL DEPOSITS
GRITSTONES
IT’S GRIM UP NORTH
LOFTY / HILLS
LUDDITE OPPOSITION
MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR
MINSTER TOWN
MOOR
PAULINUS
PETER SUTCLIFFE
POOR LAW GUARDIANS
PROVIDENCE MILLS
RIVER CALDER
SANDBLASTING
SAXON GRAVES
STAN BARSTOW
THE KLF
WEST RIDING
YORKSHIRE RIPPER


When you’ve crossed through all the listed words in the above grid, you should find the following part of a quotation remaining.
“ _ _ _ _  _ _ _, _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ ’ _ , _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ ,  /  _ _ _ _ _
 _ _ _ _ , _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ , _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ ”

For a more flexible form of this puzzle, please see: http://www.wordsearchfun.com/160711_Dewsbury_wordsearch.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment