Sunday, June 1, 2014

Scarborough - Puzzle

SCARBOROUGH – PUZZLE

The name of Scarborough dates back as far as the time of the Viking invasion of this part of England, with 'borough' deriving from the Viking word Borg meaning 'stronghold', and ‘Scarborough’ meaning ‘Skarthi's stronghold’. According to the Kormak Saga, two Viking brothers called Thorgils and Kormak launched marauding parties into the rest of England, as well as into Wales and Ireland from the stronghold that they called Scarborough. Kormak is known to have called his brother 'Skarthi' (meaning 'Hare Lip' in Viking parlance) (Simpson, 2009).

A
R
E
E
R
T
N
E
C
E
F
I
L
A
E
S
Y
O
U
G
B
R
E
G
N
I
L
F
F
R
E
D
S
M
S
O
I
N
R
T
L
E
O
S
B
O
A
T
I
N
G
L
A
K
E
C
A
O
R
B
G
A
L
I
M
E
S
T
O
N
E
C
L
I
F
F
S
N
O
S
R
R
C
T
O
E
G
N
A
R
T
S
T
R
E
B
L
A
Y
C
A
U
G
K
T
H
K
R
A
P
T
N
E
M
E
S
U
M
A
A
N
F
A
S
C
A
R
B
O
R
I
A
N
S
I
R
S
D
W
L
D
N
O
R
T
H
B
A
Y
R
A
I
L
W
A
Y
O
A
L
B
H
A
R
B
O
U
R
E
H
T
A
E
D
E
E
P
U
E
I
Y
O
G
A
R
D
E
N
S
M
A
R
S
L
G
S
E
T
T
A
M
T
E
E
V
I
R
D
E
N
I
R
A
M
D
H
N
H
S
R
I
E
S
T
A
R
D
I
S
K
Y
T
S
A
I
T
U
B
H
E
L
L
G
C
A
B
L
E
C
A
R
S
I
E
R
R
T
A
T
R
L
D
N
A
L
D
A
E
H
Y
K
C
O
R
B
O
P
Y
R
U
S
R
O
S
E
E
R
T
A
E
H
T
R
I
A
N
E
P
O
T
H
O
L
I
D
A
Y
R
E
S
O
R
T
M
P
M
N
A
N
A
R
Y
N
O
R
T
H
R
I
D
I
N
G
A
S
N
K
D
T
I
H
Y
E
L
T
S
A
C
H
G
U
O
R
O
B
R
A
C
S
N
C
O
L
D
T
C
I
R
T
S
I
D
N
W
O
T
D
L
O
I
M
E
P
E
A
S
H
O
L
M
P
A
R
K
L
E
T
O
H
M

ALBERT STRANGE
AMUSEMENT PARK
BLACK / DEATH
BOATING LAKE
CABLECARS
COLD NORTH SEA
GARDENS
GRAND HOTEL
HARBOUR
HOLIDAY RESORT
LIMESTONE CLIFFS
MARINE DRIVE
MINIATURE RAILWAY
MOCK MARITIME BATTLE
NEPTUNE
NORTH BAY RAILWAY
NORTH RIDING
NORTHSTEAD MANOR
OLD TOWN DISTRICT
OPEN AIR THEATRE
PEASHOLM PARK
ROCKY HEADLAND
SCALBY MILLS HOTEL
SCARBORIANS
SCARBOROUGH CASTLE
SEA LIFE CENTRE
SMS DERFFLINGER
SOUTH BAY
SPA BRIDGE
STAR DISK

When you’ve crossed through all the listed words in the above grid, you should find the following part of a quotation remaining.

“  _ _ _  _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _  _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _  ?  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  ,  _ _ _ _  , 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  ,  _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _  .”


For a more flexible form of this puzzle, please see: http://www.wordsearchfun.com/ 160671_Scarborough_wordsearch.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment