Sunday, June 22, 2014

Widnes - Puzzle

WIDNES – PUZZLE
The name Widnes is usually thought to have evolved from the Danish words vid, meaning wide, and noese, meaning nose. The ‘wide nose’ is considered to refer to the headland protruding into the River Mersey. However, as the projection is relatively narrow, another possible explanation for the name is that the first half derives from the Danish ved, meaning a wood, which could refer to the trees covering the promontory (“Widnes”, [s.d.]).

W
F
I
L
L
I
F
I
N
D
S
A
L
V
A
T
I
O
N
I
N
A
T
H
Y
C
N
O
T
L
A
H
F
O
N
O
R
A
B
E
A
R
R
M
R
U
O
L
L
E
T
S
O
C
S
I
V
L
E
S
O
N
F
S
T
E
L
L
T
S
U
R
T
N
V
O
D
D
L
S
P
W
V
T
S
R
E
I
?
W
I
L
I
E
H
N
A
S
L
T
O
O
P
N
U
D
D
H
L
I
T
O
R
S
U
N
S
A
A
L
L
R
E
A
D
L
I
X
S
T
C
M
L
O
E
E
P
N
N
U
I
T
T
R
N
E
R
E
O
N
E
E
B
M
C
S
I
K
D
K
S
H
S
G
I
Y
F
P
A
R
W
D
O
O
N
P
K
E
S
E
H
N
R
I
L
M
R
M
S
M
R
R
R
A
E
S
E
Y
E
'
W
O
U
M
A
A
O
E
E
A
P
P
I
A
R
D
I
C
B
S
O
M
O
M
C
R
Y
C
W
A
C
N
H
P
N
A
S
A
A
I
R
I
Y
I
I
S
N
E
I
N
A
G
?
A
W
N
L
N
S
I
K
S
H
H
M
H
M
R
A
U
L
L
L
G
I
E
A
A
T
T
E
L
C
S
E
O
O
L
H
B
E
R
E
M
N
L
N
L
I
O
R
U
T
I
H
T
B
T
U
G
O
H
?
O
I
A
D
D
A
O
S
A
A
N
C
E
I
T
O
W
A
N
C
T
W
Y
O
N
U
R
P
W
I
L
L
I
A
M
F
I
T
Z
N
I
G
E
L
S
Y
M
P
V
L
L
A
H
S
N
E
E
U
Q
U
A
W
A
L
K
S
A
I
C
R
E
M
T
H
Y
T
H
E
B
R
I
N
D
L
E
Y

BARON OF HALTON
BELLAND SEBASTIAN
CHEMICAL INDUSTRY
CUERDLEY MARSH
DANE LAW
ELVIS COSTELLO
FARNWORTH
HOMEWARD BOUND
IRISH IMMIGRANTS
LEBLANC PROCESS
LITHUANIANS
MERCIA
MOORLAND
PAUL SIMON
PEX HILL / WALKS
POLISH WORKERS
QUEENS HALL
RIVER MERSEY
ROMAN COINS
RUNCOM GAP
SANKEY CANAL
SPIKE ISLAND
ST LUKE'S
THE BRINDLEY
TRUST
VICTORIA PROMENADE
WATCH YOUR STEP
WELSH
WILLIAM FITZNIGEL
YORFRID

When you’ve crossed through all the listed words in the above grid, you should find the following part of a quotation remaining.

“  _ _ _ _  _  _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _  _ _ _  _ _ _ _  _ _  _ _ _ _ _  /  _ _ _ _  _ _ 
_ _ _ _  _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  /  _ _ _ _  _ _  _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  //  _  _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ 
_ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  ”


For a more flexible form of this puzzle, please see: http://www.wordsearchfun.com/160746_Widnes_wordsearch.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment