Monday, July 14, 2014

Grimsby - Puzzle

GRIMSBY – PUZZLE
One explanation of the source of the town’s name lies in its partial derivation from a popular name for the god Odin (rendered ‘Woden’ in Anglo-Saxon). Odin was revered by the Vikings who ruled over the Danelaw as being not only the divine being that brought poetry to mankind, but also as the leader of the war band. In Norse mythology, Odin was also referred to as 'Grim' (Mask) and 'Grimnir' (Masked One) (“Odin”, [s.d.]). The suffix -by is the Old Norse word for village. Rod Collins (2010), however, considers that the name might be derived from the Celtic Gri, maes and buy, meaning The Place of the Sacred Mounds. This could be taken as referring to the Seven Hills of Grimsby, namely Toote Hill, Holm Hill, Abbey Hill, Cun Hu, Sand Hill, Ellyll, the Spittal, Chapel Hill, and Mill Hill, which Collins suggests were of some historical importance.
I
T
H
O
U
G
Y
E
N
H
S
E
R
F
R
E
V
I
R
H
T
I
H
H
A
V
E
N
C
O
M
P
A
N
Y
E
A
E
R
D
S
N
A
G
A
S
A
G
N
I
Y
E
N
K
R
O
T
T
H
E
E
E
Y
B
S
M
I
R
G
E
D
D
N
U
M
D
E
S
T
N
M
D
R
U
N
I
O
N
D
O
C
K
A
W
L
E
R
N
B
H
A
O
F
T
O
A
T
S
S
S
O
R
C
E
U
L
B
I
S
O
J
W
L
T
A
R
S
R
E
P
E
E
W
S
E
N
I
M
R
J
T
E
O
E
N
E
T
U
R
N
I
N
G
O
N
T
H
Y
E
G
S
E
O
R
I
S
R
A
W
D
O
C
E
T
I
D
E
B
K
N
L
D
F
M
T
H
E
S
H
I
O
H
T
R
A
C
S
R
I
Y
S
S
L
A
N
G
L
H
O
S
P
I
T
A
L
E
M
O
K
R
B
I
Y
L
N
I
D
O
G
R
I
M
N
I
R
B
I
W
C
A
Y
R
B
E
A
C
H
D
R
E
G
I
T
S
S
O
R
N
O
M
W
E
O
I
D
R
I
N
T
L
E
B
N
E
E
R
G
A
D
T
O
N
M
G
L
U
F
T
W
A
F
F
E
R
A
I
D
M
L
S
O
S
B
L
A
Y
O
F
H
A
V
E
L
O
C
K
T
O
A
A
D
K
S
E
Y
B
S
M
I
R
G
T
A
E
R
G
M
R
Y
E
S
P
A
T
R
O
L
S
E
R
V
I
C
E
B
A
C
K
O
Y
O
U
K
C
O
D
H
S
I
F
R
U
S
T
I
C
T
O
R
E
W
O
T
K
C
O
D
A
R
D
N
A
X
E
L
A
W
N

ALEXANDRA DOCK
BLUE / CROSS / ANIMAL HOSPITAL
BUTTERFLY BOMBS
COD WARS
DOCK TOWER
EDMUND DE GRIMSBY
FISH DOCK
FLOOD SIRENS
GREAT GRIMSBY
GREEN BELT
GRIMNIR
GRIMSBY MINSTER
HAVEN COMPANY
KING JOHN
LAY OF HAVELOCK
LUFTWAFFE RAID
MINESWEEPERS
ODIN
ORKNEYINGA SAGA
PATROL SERVICE
RIVER FRESHNEY
ROMAN WORKERS
ROSS TIGER
ROYAL DOCK
SCARTHO
ST JAMES'
ST MARY'S
UNION DOCK
WEELSBY WOODS
WODEN


When you’ve crossed through all the listed words in the above grid, you should find the following part of a quotation remaining.

“ …  _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _  /  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _
 _ _ _  _ _ _ _  …  _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _  _ _ _ _  …  _ _ _ _  _ _  _ _ _ _
 _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _  … ”


For a more flexible form of this puzzle, please see: http://www.wordsearchfun.com/192148_ Grimsby_wordsearch.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment